Sunday, June 19, 2011

The First Man


 




I wrote this and submitted it to a greeting card company last year.  My Daddy was the inspiration for every word.  




  

Dad,

You were the first man to ever hold me in your arms
The first man whose shoulder I laid my head on
The first man whose hand I reached for
The first man whose name I called when I was scared

You were the first man to ever kiss me goodnight
The first man to smile as I modeled a new dress
The first man to wipe away my tears
The first man to celebrate my accomplishments

You were the first man to ever say to me, "you are beautiful'
The first man who ate cookies I made from scratch
The first man who wore a "hand-painted" shirt or tie
The first man who wrapped me in his arms for a photograph
You were the first man to let me go as I became a woman

And you will always be the first man I ever loved.

Thanks, Dad.

Happy Father's Day.  I love you.


3 comments:

  1. ★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°* I love this Dawn...I sure miss your Dad & the wonderful times I spent with him! He will always be one of my favorites!! Love you Sis! Nisey ★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Honey, Hope you got my post from earlier...Loved this!!! I sure miss your Dad...& all the wonderful time with him!! Hugs always Nisey! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very warm & heart-touching tribute to your wonderful father!!! I know I'm blessed by God to have a father that loved me very much & you have been so very blessed by God, as well, to have such a kind, sweethearted, "Southern Gentleman" of a man to be your father. Mr. Vern exemplifies what you don't see in society very often now & this a honorable, curtious, respectful, & ever so kind man. I truly enjoy being around him. As, I told Bo in regards to Mr. Vern, "he butters my heart"!!! My gift to him for father's day was a bagful of those Lane peaches that he so loves. Plus, I got an added bonus, a nice hug from him & a brief, but wonderful conversation with him. As he left from picking up his peaches, I wished him a VERY Happy Father's day & I am glad that I got to tell him that in person. I hope your husband, Richard had a terrific Father's day as well. Thank you for sharing this Dawn. It truly does need to be made into a greeting card. I would certainly buy it for my daddy as it expresses exactly how much I love him!!! May you all have a wonderful Sunday night & wishing many blessings to fall upon you all!!! God Bless each & every one of you!!!

    ~~Angela~~

    ReplyDelete